During the pandemic, many schools across the country tried outdoor learning as a way to boost students’ physical and mental health. At A+ Children’s Academy, we make outdoor education a regular part of our program, and we’ve experienced a host of benefits:
- Engagement—When students are excited about a lesson, their minds are open to learning. The novelty of learning outside helps lessons “stick”. Outdoor learning fires up their curiosity which in turn helps students harness the full power of their brains to grasp new concepts.
- Problem-Solving—the outdoor environment naturally inspires students to think creatively. They are more eager to tackle challenges and try new things.
- Teamwork—Children enjoy working together in groups or pairs in the outdoor environment. They are more willing to work through challenges, find solutions, and compromise. Outdoor learning fosters cooperation and collaboration.
- Imagination—Being outdoors engages the senses and encourages freedom of expression. Students are more creative and willing to explore new ideas.
- Learning Differences—Students who may struggle with focus issues or other negative classroom behaviors, shine in the outdoor classroom. Being able to move more freely and work in a less structured environment is beneficial to many students with learning differences.